marking training

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

marking training

Postby ash pilkington » Wed 12 Aug 2015 2:37 pm

Hi I'm training towards our first retrieving trials and I've been concentrating on obedience and marks. As I'm sure a lot of you do your training alone I was wondering what drills you do. Apart from remote launchers how do you go about it. I usually have someone throw for me once or twice a week, so I'm just after a few different drills to fill in between. I've been doing a lot of self thrown marks as well as a few hot blinds for her. Thanks ash
ash pilkington

Re: marking training

Postby Gareth Tawton » Wed 12 Aug 2015 8:04 pm

Hi Ash,

A number of clubs, notibly the Vic Gundog club, have some training days which will give you a chance to see various drills first hand. You can buy various remote launchers online and it is quiet easy to make your own auto thrower which makes training on your own much easier. Have a look at Bill Hillmann 's website and YouTube clips for some great marking tips.
Good luck and hope to see you at some trials soon.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby ash pilkington » Thu 13 Aug 2015 7:30 pm

Hi Gareth, thanks for your reply. I attended the training day a month ago with the central highlands club. Learned a lot, and gained a great deal of information. Was just after a few other ideas. Have you got any information on the auto throwers you can make. I'd be interested to see them. Thanks ash
ash pilkington

Postby Kirsty Blair » Fri 11 Sep 2015 12:02 pm

In the "olden days" we used to put our dog in a sit stay, walk out and hand throw the mark, walk back to the dog and then send for the retrieve. The benefits are two-fold; the handler gets fit and the dog gets steady ;-)

Godo luck. I hope your training is going well.

Cheers
Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Return to Training Q&A