DOMESTIC ANIMALS AMENDMENT

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

DOMESTIC ANIMALS AMENDMENT

Postby Sally Haynes » Fri 14 Oct 2016 2:24 pm

The Domestic Animals Amendment (Puppy Farm and Pet Shops) Bill 2016 was introduced to Parliament yesterday. The Bill introduces a range of amendments to the Domestic Animals Act 1994. These amendments deliver on the Government’s election commitment to reform the dog breeding and pet shop industries in Victoria and better regulate the online sale of dogs and cats.
Under the amended Act:
* limits on the number of fertile female animals dog breeders can keep will apply;
* pet shops will only be able to sell dogs and cats sourced from shelters and pounds;
* the role of foster carers will be clearer;
* councils will have a better source of information for regulating domestic animal businesses.

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domin ... 140bi1.pdf

If you are an ANKC registered breeder in Victoria this WILL affect you and your puppy buyers.

If you own ONE fertile bitch (or more) and you BREED and SELL puppies you will be required to register with your council as a Domestic Animal Business.

No exemptions for Dogs Victoria members.

The council, of course, can reject your application at any time and charge whatever they wish and impose whatever conditions they wish.

(You are exempt if you have an accidental litter and give the puppies away by the way i.e. cash sales).

Yes I support the disruption of puppy farms but this, for me, is an expensive hobby and I take the responsibility of breeding, raising and finding homes for my pups very seriously. I have no issue with being on a central register but more red tape, more hoops to jump through and still NO-ONE adequately enforces the existing legislation.

Dogs Victoria on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DOGS.Victoria/?fref=ts
Sally Haynes

Re: DOMESTIC ANIMALS AMENDMENT

Postby Diane McCann » Fri 14 Oct 2016 6:42 pm

Just like gun laws, another example of punishing the good guys and letting the bad guys keep doing what they are doing
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Prue Winkfield » Sat 15 Oct 2016 2:33 pm

Not sure how councils will react to having to registered so many tiny businesses let alone enforce the law. Most are strapped for cash and under resourced. In many cases have difficulty ensuring all pets are even regstered. So imagine there will be amendments .
Prue Winkfield

Postby Sally Haynes » Sat 15 Oct 2016 7:31 pm

Inside information is telling me that this is NOT in the spirit of the legislation. A face to face meeting is being organised between myself and an MP as soon as possible. It definitely is NOT to late to fix this so please talk/write to your local MP if you want this fixed before it goes to the vote on the 26th October.
Sally Haynes

Return to General