Dog dropping game after water retrieve

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Dog dropping game after water retrieve

Postby Michael Buckley » Wed 29 Mar 2017 11:05 am

Our Weimaraner is 5 years, has had 2 months of training at retrieving and been entered in two RATG trials. He is a keen retriever of game, however on his first water retrieve, most times at training or in a trial he drops the game, shakes and picks it and gives it to the handler. Seems to be water in his ears. Automatic loss of points trialing! Generally after the first retrieve he doesn't drop the game again. During training we have been standing at the waters edge to receive the game Sometimes this works and sometimes not. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Michael Buckley

Re: Dog dropping game after water retrieve

Postby Diane McCann » Sun 02 Apr 2017 5:11 pm

May have water in his ears but probably not, this is a natural thing or dogs to do and is a training issue. Have you separately gone through a 'hold' training program? You need to teach your dog to hold as a separate step to retrieving as you do not want to be negative with your dog once he has gone out and gotten something and brought it back. You need to get him to the point where you can tug on the item in his mouth and he will not let it go until you give him the release command. Once you have done this training you can stand very close to the waters edge and tell your dog 'hold' as he gets out, back up a few steps saying hold, get him to sit with dummy in mouth and then say give. As he progresses stand further back to take delivery. Once you have thoroughly taught hold, if he drops the game before delivery put it back in his mouth, tap under his jaw and say hold, then take a step back and have him come in and sit and hold. If you need more help on the separately teaching the hold phase them send me a PM
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Diane McCann » Sun 02 Apr 2017 5:31 pm

May have water in his ears but probably not, this is a natural thing for dogs to do and is a training issue. Have you separately gone through a 'hold' training program? You need to teach your dog to hold as a separate step to retrieving as you do not want to be negative with your dog once he has gone out and gotten something and brought it back. You need to get him to the point where you can tug on the item in his mouth and he will not let it go until you give him the release command. Once you have done this training you can stand very close to the waters edge and tell your dog 'hold' as he gets out, back up a few steps saying hold, get him to sit with dummy in mouth and then say give or whatever your release command is. As he progresses stand further back to take delivery. Once you have thoroughly taught hold, if he drops the game before delivery put it back in his mouth, tap under his jaw and say hold, then take a step back and have him come in and sit and hold. If you need more help on the separately teaching the hold phase them send me a PM
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Michael Buckley » Sun 02 Apr 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks Diane for your feedback! Our Wei has had a hold program through obedience training and will hold items on command, except the initial water retrieve. We should probably revisit the hold command to reinforce the command. We are working close to the waters edge, saying hold and moving away from it. But maybe we are moving to far from it in his initial training.When he drops the game we say fetch again. We'll try as you suggested and put it back in his mouth, tap him under the mouth, tell him to hold the game and build our distance from water up. Again thanks for your suggestions.
Michael Buckley

Postby Michael Kontou » Thu 18 May 2017 3:34 pm

Might be a bit late on this one.

I had the same problem with my GSP, what other have said worked for me. Definitely reinforce the 'hold'. What I found to be very valuable also (once the hold is mastered) is 'pick it up'. I have to credit Jadine Mac for this one; train the dog to pick up a dummy laying on the ground around them. It is so drilled into my GSP now that she does it without command which can save a bit of embarrassment.

Good luck!
Michael Kontou

Return to Training Q&A