Double Falls

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Postby K Normanl » Sat 07 Jun 2003 1:22 am

Oooppppssss

That's my post right above...I'm too used to being automatically logged. :oops:

CS
K Normanl

Library

Postby K Normanl » Sat 07 Jun 2003 2:10 am

Also....

hope that all of you feel free to browse my retriever club's link library. I believe you will find that it is very extensive. You can also post on our bulletin board if you want, although it's not as active as a "national" board.

http://www.arhrc.com/Library.html

Our club webmaster worked hard on it.

CS
K Normanl

Postby Pat Thorn » Mon 09 Jun 2003 10:10 am

Hey Cat Squirrel

That's a great site.
:D
Pat
Pat Thorn

MORE ON DOUBLE FALLS

Postby Graeme Parkinson » Mon 28 Jul 2003 11:36 pm

I seem to remember somewhere in the rule book it states a dog should stop to shot and then remain steady until commanded by the handler.
Therefore on a double fall a dog should stop when the gun is fired at the second bird, the dog should acknowledge that fall and remain stationary until ordered to retrieve the first bird.
It took me a long time to teach my dog to do that and it really annoys me when I see judges go for their pen when my dog stops and waits for me to handle it on double falls and two birds.

Graemep
Graeme Parkinson

double falls

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 29 Jul 2003 9:25 am

HI Graeme,

I too, thought that I had seen something in the rule book about dogs stopping to shot but can't find any mention in the current book. Was it taken out of the rules or perhaps I saw it in a field trial rule book?

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Graeme Parkinson » Tue 29 Jul 2003 9:10 pm

It is still there Kirsty in Definition of Terms sub para h Drop or Down or Sit
A well trained dog should stop to command and to shot. A dog may sit, stand or drop in position, but must not move from that position until ordered.

Graemep :)
Graeme Parkinson

rule book

Postby Kirsty Blair » Wed 30 Jul 2003 8:55 am

Hi again Graeme,

You're right (women don't say that to men very often so enjoy it :D ) it is there. And as ambiguous as our rule book generally is this rule is pretty clear cut. Your dog SHOULD stop to the shot for the second bird of the double fall and he shouldn't move until directed to do so. I can understand why you get so frustrated Graeme! :?

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Double fall

Postby Lynne s » Tue 19 Aug 2003 9:44 am

I would like to mention Rule 7 h which says a dog should stop on command or to shot and not move till given a command. So I would give the highest score to a dog whjich stopped to shot ,looked at the double fall then took the command to go for the first bird. Then after delivering the first bird turned to the second and retrieved with out a command.
Lynne Strang W.A.
Lynne s

Double Falls

Postby Lynne » Tue 19 Aug 2003 10:18 am

Sorry folks for repeating comments. I had only seen page 1 of this topic - computer novice speaking. I agree that as a judge, a double fall is difficult to set up fairly.
Lynne S
Lynne

Previous

Return to General