4th G Ponzio Hubertus Wild Card H Vizsla D 146pts

This win gave Flynn his NRD title, congratulations Nick and Lorraine

Restricted Mr G Tawton
15 entries all started
1st V Bailey Kadnook Call The Shots Lab D 133pts
2nd R & V Thomas Inkaline Nevada GSP D 124pts
3rd A & J Cramond Adderslot Maverick Lab D 117pts
4th R Carr Bambillay Shifting Sands Lab D 108pts

This win gave (sorry, can't recall his call name!) his RRD title, congratulations Vince

All Age Mr N Eltringham
9 entries 28 starters
1st D Mills FtCh Pointgold Obliterate RRD GSP D 145pts
2nd R & P Tawron Gr RtCh Kadnook Tanks Aheap Lab D 139pts
3rd R Whitechurch Gr Ntl RtCh Adderslot Crackers Triga Lab B 137pts
4th R & P Tawton RtCh Kadnook Kwik Sand Lab D 135.5pts

This win gave Junior his RtCh title. This would be the first time that a GSP has gained its RtCh outside of Queensland in a very long time. Congratulations Dave.

Sunday 25th
Novice Mrs K Eltringham
19 entries 18 starters
1st M Calleja Brittina Astuto Congio Brittany B 144pts
2nd G Ponzio Hubertus Wild Card H Vizsla D 138pts
3rd R Carr Bambillay Shifting Sands Lab D 135pts
4th R & D McCann Topnotch Let's Elope GSP B 134pts

Gary's Vizsla won the Yorick perpetual trophy for the highest scoring novice dog over the two days donated by Prue Winkfield

All Age Mr G Parkinson
33 entries 32 starters
1st K. Andrews RT CH Tockatunga Twist of Fate Lab D 135 pts
2nd M. & W. Davis NTL 7 GR RT CH Beereegan One Tree CM Lab D 133 pts
3rd R. & P Tawton GR RT CH Kadnook King of Kanbera DM Lab D 132 pts
4th R. Whitechurch GR NTL RT CH Adderslot Crackers Triga CM Lab B 127pts
Diane
Diane McCann

Re: GSP Vic January Trial Results

Postby Lara Sedgmen » Tue 27 Jan 2009 2:44 pm

Congratulations to all winners, but a special huge congratulations to Dave and Junior! Fantastic achievement!!

Also a special congratulations to Gary's Vizsla, great to see another V in the placings :D
Lara Sedgmen

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 27 Jan 2009 6:16 pm

Congratulations Dave on "Junior's" RT Ch. :!:

Junior's performance is testament to the training and effort that you've put into him. Proof is in the pudding as they say! :D

Cheers
KG
Kirsty Blair

Postby Wayne Outtrim » Tue 27 Jan 2009 7:34 pm

GREAT result Dave i know the amount of work youv'e put in on Junior.To title him in both field and retrieving is a fantastic effort you must feel very proud. Has there been many or ANY dual champsin NSW can anyone recall? cheers wayne o
Wayne Outtrim

Postby Joanne Hagan » Tue 27 Jan 2009 7:59 pm

A huge congratulations to Dave and Junior, a wonderful result, well done, it is really great to see all your hard work paying off.

Wayne, to answer your question, Bob Tawton had one, his name was RT & FT CH Ruvalan Homah CD CM, he also won 2 National Retrieving Championships I believe - no mean feat for a shorthair, I still reckon Bob needs a challenge and should get himself another one to see how he goes...LOL (ducking for cover!)

I'd have to go through my books to come up with any more from NSW, there was a Kazia dog a few years ago related to your boy I think, who had his Dual but I think that he was show & retrieving titled and not sure if he was in NSW or south eastern QLD???

Cheers
Joanne Hagan
FOURJAYS GSPs - for showing, for trialling, for loving!
Canberra, Australia
Joanne Hagan

Postby Prue Winkfield » Wed 28 Jan 2009 8:15 am

Well done Dave and Junior - great to see a GSP winning in Victoria at long last. Also congratulations to Gary with his Vizsla winning the aggregate novice trophy - first time a utility gundog has won that so a good weekend for the non-retriever breeds!

Our unofficial historian Jack M tells me that the last GSP to win in Victoria was Bob Tawton's Homer in September 1991. Barry Kavanagh and Jeff Martin won in 1990 and 1989 and that is
all in the last 20 years.
Prue Winkfield

Postby Wayne Outtrim » Wed 28 Jan 2009 10:07 am

Hi Joanne, spoke to a friend from Vic yesterday and to his knowledge Junior is the only GSP to hold RT and FT titles in NSW.Would love to know can anybody help out. Wayne
Wayne Outtrim

Postby Kirsty Blair » Wed 28 Jan 2009 4:42 pm

For the people who get tied up in semantics like I do... "Dual Champion" refers only to dogs who have gained a show championship title in addition to a Championship title from another discipline. The second discipline is denoted in brackets after the Dual Ch component ie Dual Ch.(R) or Dual Ch (T). "Junior" gets to flaunt both field and retrieving titles at the beginning of his name until Dave decides to doll up and get into the show ring. :lol: Should "Junior" get a show title he'd be a triple champ.

Cheers
Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Joanne Hagan » Wed 28 Jan 2009 5:37 pm

Hi Wayne,

Okay, you made me pull out my books :) I am looking at Georgina Byrnes' book published in 1990. It lists the following dogs as double champions in field & retrieving, up to that point:

Irus v d Saarner Mark
Dunfriu Marx
Dunfriu Nicholas
Dunfriu Larry
Ruvalan Homah CD

In addition, there are triple champions as well - show, field & retrieving:

Linstan Kris
Fallohide Loki
and of course more recently, Triple Ch Wauchope Farwalked Woman in WA

Of the above dogs, I know that Irus and D. Nicholas were trialled in Victoria. I suspect that Fallohide Loki was as well as I think that is where that prefix comes from. As to the rest of them, am not sure, perhaps some of our long time triallers might remember. The Linstan kennel was in Victoria, but I believe that Linstan Kris was owned by Westy Morris - not sure, but I think Westy resided in NSW and was the breeder of the Ruvalan dogs. Of course, am just talking GSPs here (what else!! LOL)

Cheers

Jo
Joanne Hagan
FOURJAYS GSPs - for showing, for trialling, for loving!
Canberra, Australia
Joanne Hagan

Postby Carlo Iacobucci » Wed 28 Jan 2009 7:26 pm

Hi Joanne,
I may be able to fill in some missing bits.I had a Ruvalan bitch from Westy and he lived in Victoria.Fellohide is the prefix of Lourie Phealan who was a great friend of westy and he currently lives in Echuca Vic and still trials on and off. I stand to be corrected but the father of Lokiwas ruvalan chris.
Cheers,CARLO.
Carlo Iacobucci

Postby Gareth Tawton » Wed 28 Jan 2009 7:51 pm

Hi Guys,

Linstan Kris and Linstan Kathy were owned by Westy and became the foundation dogs of Westy Morris's line Ruvalan. Yes Her and Laurie Phelan's Lockie were Vic based. I can't realy see who would give two hoots what states the various dogs were from as to the best of my knowledge they all won in a variety of states. You have also missed out on several Qld dogs run by Sam Haigh and the Colisimones.

It seems to me just like in Labradors and any other gundog breed there are very few to "make it" in two working disciplines. ( NO I don't consider obediance a working discipline). So well done to anyone who does no matter where they live or trial.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Allan Bartram » Thu 29 Jan 2009 10:50 am

Hi All,
Firstly Congratulations to Dave and Junior on their great efforts.
As Joanne so rightly states Ray Johnson here in WA had a Triple (Show, Retrieving and Field) Champion with Fern, Wauchope Farwalked Woman. To obtain his Field Trial title Ray had to travel over to the Eastern States to get get points as we had no eligable trials here in WA. Anyone who has travelled the Nullabor can testify this was no mean feat !
There were also occasions when he had travelled over only to find the trials cancalled due to lack of game..now thats dedication !
As most would know, Ray tragically lost Fern to a snake bite less than six months after achieving her Triple title,whilst picking his runs for the '99 National Retrieving Trial.

Cheers
Allan
Allan Bartram

Postby Joanne Hagan » Thu 29 Jan 2009 12:45 pm

HI Gareth,

Thanks for that info too. I hadn't included the QLD dogs as they weren't in Georgina's book and I don't have the details. There is also Matt Fulton (??) dog Chilli - RT & FT Ch Applecreek Breakn Hearts up there in QLD. Was chatting to Bob T about all this last night and he thought that perhaps John & Jann Pattison may have had a FT/RT Ch at some point as well. Also maybe Jeff Martin?

Have to agree, it is a marvellous achievement to achieve 2 championships in the working disciplines. So much time and effort is involved in training for these areas and requires so much dedication. It is an achievement to be very proud of, especially in this day and age.

Cheers

Jo

Gareth Tawton wrote:Hi Guys,

Linstan Kris and Linstan Kathy were owned by Westy and became the foundation dogs of Westy Morris's line Ruvalan. Yes Her and Laurie Phelan's Lockie were Vic based. I can't realy see who would give two hoots what states the various dogs were from as to the best of my knowledge they all won in a variety of states. You have also missed out on several Qld dogs run by Sam Haigh and the Colisimones.
Gareth
Joanne Hagan

Postby Jadine MacKenzie » Thu 29 Jan 2009 7:27 pm

Jeff Martin bred (and trained and worked) Ft Ch & Rt Ch Riverfield Aspen, who was a daughter of his Dual Ch (F?) Dunfriu Suzette. He'd also bred a few more Ft Ch's, who's names i cannot recall at the moment.
And don't forget Elio up in Qld.
(I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment, so don't have time to research further - these are just from memory).
Cheers,
Jadine
Dedicated to the breeding and promotion of versatile German Shorthaired Pointers.
Jadine MacKenzie

Postby Alan Donovan » Sat 31 Jan 2009 3:04 pm

Posted on behalf of Elio Colasimone...................

Hi all,

Congratulations to Dave and Junior...truly a great achievement.
We all know that not only do you need a very capable dog – but it takes a heck of a lot of hard work.

For those with a historic interest in the GSP as a working breed – here is a list of dogs from Qld that Titled in Retrieving and those that titled in both Field and Retrieving - that I can personally recall.
There may be others that have slipped my mind and I apologise to the owner/handlers of those highly credentialed dogs.

Retrieving
R.T. CH. Dunfriu Britte (Hook – Nth. Qld)

R.T. CH Flightlane Athene (Leighton- Nth Qld)

R.T. CH Riverfield Endeavour (Hook -Bundaberg)

R.T. CH Alverpoint Taxi (Donovan – Brisbane)

R.T. CH Macropus Don ( Colasimone –Bundaberg)

R.T. CH Macropus Monty (Michalk/Colasimone – Bundaberg)

Field and Retrieving
Nat. F.T. CH. & R.T. CH Saetta Alto (Colasimone – Bundaberg )

F.T. CH. & R.T. CH. Saetta Abraham (Colasimone – Bundaberg)

F.T. CH & R.T. CH. Saetta Dean (Colasimone – Bundaberg)

F.T. CH & R.T. CH Applecreek Breakn Hearts (Fulton –Bundaberg)

F.T. CH & R.T. CH Haighenhauf Jessie (Pattison –Brisbane)

F.T. CH & R.T. CH. Garjanhauf Tamange (Haigh – Brisbane)

F.T. CH & R.T. CH Garjanhauf Tamslad (Haigh – Brisbane)

Nat. F.T. CH and R.T. CH Garjanhauf Bronco (Haigh – Brisbane)

Of course there were a number of other FT Champions and Nat. FT Champions that fairly regularly placed in All Age but did not jag the two wins required for a RT CH title.

Field Trial opportunities varied dramatically depending on where people lived, game season closures and ultimately the legislated banning of hunting of upland native game birds.
In Qld opportunities for a whole generation of dogs to gain Field Titles came to a crunching stop some years back due to poor seasons and hunting bans.
Cheers,
Elio Colasimone
Alan Donovan

Next

Return to 2009