National Retrieving Trial Committee Fundraiser - 30/4/2005

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

National Retrieving Trial Committee Fundraiser - 30/4/2005

Postby ChrisNPeter » Sat 30 Apr 2005 10:04 pm

A beautiful autumn day in Sydney for the National Retrieving Trial Committee's fundraiser and training day, organised by the The Gundog Society of NSW.
We had Labs, Goldens, Weis, Irish Setters, GSPs, Cocker Spaniels and a Brittany out there doing their thing and/or learning to do their thing. It was a fabulous selection of gundogs.
Maureen Cooper ran the GWT training and afternoon stakes, while Joe Law and Jack Lynch ran the retrieving training and stakes.
Thank you to everyone who came along with their dogs and supported the National Trial Committee with a special thanks to those who helped out. Congratulations to Maureen Cooper on organising another successful training day.
Christine Cunningham
Knusprig GSPs
President, Gundog Society of NSW
Christine Cunningham & Peter Serle
Knusprig German Shorthaired Pointers
Marulan, NSW, Australia
ChrisNPeter

Postby Maureen Cooper » Mon 02 May 2005 11:41 pm

Due to the various breeds of dogs and the clubs involved I would like to thank everyone who supported the training day on Saturday 30th through this site.

The day was just great in every way and my THANKS to Jack, Joe, Pat Green, Graham Keating, Flo,Peter, Sherry and the host of helpers and not least, Anne O'Connor for her invaluable help taking entries and money for the various events while I organised Jack, Joe and myself. Anne has not even been in her first trial yet but her enthusiasm and her dogs enthusiasm will be seen at Marulan!

On arrival and payment of the $10 training fee, the handlers were given a free raffle ticket for each dog and a 10 page customised training booklet.
The raffle was drawn at lunch and we had a folding stool and Thermos as first prize and a smaller tripod stool and insulated mug for second.

We had 15 newbies turn up with 18 dogs which kept us busy all morning and my apologies for my late finish as I had to work alone training the GWT folks. It was just not possible to have two trainers in the allotted area. After lunch it was on to the comps. at 2-00pm, Jack had 15 entries for the Beginners Stake and I had 13 Novice GWT's and 4 Open GWT's.

Jack only had time for two runs and we had to abandon the water section due to the time but he had 6 dogs through to the finish.

1. Andrew Pickworth and Jedda (Lab)
2. Sue Batchelor and Poppy (GR)
3. Tony Davis and Ernie(Wei)
4. Sue Batchelor and Molly(GR)
5. Anne O'Connor and Dawson (Lab)
6, Don Sharp and Thomas(Lab)

It was very pleasing to get 8 Novice dogs through their GWT with the 75% pass but only one dog got through Open. Joe Law decided to have a go in the Novice GWT with his two dogs (not eligible to go in Open as he had never done one) and his new RT Ch came equal 3rd with his other dog! Just goes to silence the critics who say we should not enter our trialling dogs!!! Our mad retrievers over-run the shorter marks or misbehave in the heelwork and recalls. As Joe had only entered (and paid!) for fun he gave his ribbon and trophy to the 4th placegetter so the results are minus his placings. Thanks, Joe, you made her day!

Novice GWT:

1. Jenny Prestidge and Hamish (GR)
2. Sue Batchelor and Molly(GR)
3. Helen Grainger and Crystal (Lab)

Open GWT:

1. Sue Batchelor and Poppy(GR)

Due to demand I will have another Beginners Training Day and this will be late September or October after the National. We took in over $400 in entries, training fees,National raffle tickets and cold drinks and were left with a profit of $253-87 after paying for sashes,game,trophies and drinks. A big thank you again to everyone for help and entries. You made it all worthwhile.

Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Postby Colleen Davis » Tue 10 May 2005 11:41 am

I would just like to personnally thank all the people involved in this fabulous day. Tony and I and our two weimaraners had a wonderful time. We had never been to a retreival trial and really had no idea what we or our dogs had to do but found everyone to be extremely helpful and were absolutely thrilled when Ernie and Tony came third in the beginners stake and got a pass mark in the Novice GWT. It was wonderful to see our Weis retreiving, we were equally amazed that Ernie would pick up a dead bird and that Elsa would not! - and thanks to Maureen we now know that you are not supposed to talk to your dog all the time - have to work on that bit. We are now planning to go to an upcoming Trial - just have to figure out the whole Gun part - Does anyone know if someone else can shoot for you as we dont have a license - or a gun for that matter.
Thanks again to all involved in the organisation and running of this day. We will spread the word about how great it was - it was well worth the trip down from Newcastle.
Regards
Colleen Davis, Tony, Ernie and Elsa
Colleen Davis

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 10 May 2005 11:52 am

Silvascape wrote:We are now planning to go to an upcoming Trial - just have to figure out the whole Gun part - Does anyone know if someone else can shoot for you as we dont have a license - or a gun for that matter.

Glad you enjoyed your first taste of retrieving. The rules do provide for the gun steward to fire for you as you are 'prevented at law' from holding and firing it yourself without a licence. In reality it is not a common practice, but I'm sure that the trial managers will gladly accommodate you.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Return to 2005