GSP Vic Jan Trial - Feedback wanted

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

GSP Vic Jan Trial - Feedback wanted

Postby Diane McCann » Wed 01 Feb 2006 8:15 am

To all Vic triallers and interstaters who have / do travel to the GSP trial at Shepparton, your feedback would be appreciated.

Should the January trial be moved to a different location?
Should the January trial be moved to a different date?
Should the January trial be moved to a different date and location?
Should the January trial be scrapped?

Background - The Shepparton trial was always very popular due to a number of factors. It was held over a long weekend, there are toilets, showers, kitchen and coolroom, there is a river to swim and fish in, it is close to a mjor country city. Due to these factors it was common for whole families to attend the trial and entry numbers were often very high.

Things have changed, we no longer have a long weekend for Australia day, sadly young familes no longer attend trials - although we do get the odd grandchild now, most triallers now have caravans and good camping set ups and do not care so much about the facilities.

In addition the trees have grown and the water in the lagoons has dried up. This makes the setting of runs difficult, especially for Novice and Beginners.

My thoughts - I like going to Shepparton and I am one of the weird ones who does not mind the heat - because you and your dog can jump in the river whenever you get too hot. I can't think of another trial location in Vic where you can go for a swim whenever you want. I do understand the problems with declining facilities and poor run setting ability though.

I believe that if we are to move the trial then we also have to move the date because (as mentioned above) the heat is only bearable because of the river.

Late March was one date put forward. As a club we need to avoid duck opening, quail opening, the field trial season, and peak retrieving months when we already have more than enough trials.

OK, enough from me - looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Kate Eltringham » Wed 01 Feb 2006 10:11 am

Dianne,

If considering a move to say March you must also take into consideration that Easter can fall anytime from the 2nd weekend in March through to the end of April which would then be affected by the CHWGC Easter trial.

Kate
Kate Eltringham

Postby Gareth Tawton » Wed 01 Feb 2006 10:35 am

Dianne,

Trial venue change a definute yes. It is becoming very hard to pick runs in the trees which either haven't been done before or you can actually see the mark.
Date change well I would be a 50/50 I don't mind the heat that much provided the judges pick runs that take into consideration both the dog and handlers health. Running at 3 in the afternoon when it's in the high 30's is crazy and the club can't always control the judges in this respect. I don't see why the club has to stick to one particular date. Why don't you aim for a Mar/april trial flexing around the Easter weekend or on the other hand maybe even a mid Feb move would be helpful heat wise. Perhaps just change one year and see what happens as far as entries goes and if the trial is not supported move back to Jan.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Chris, Jac Van Eekelen » Wed 01 Feb 2006 8:19 pm

Dianne,
First of all sorry we could not make it on the weekend .
It would be very sad to see this trial and venue changed .
Keep it the way it is I say .
Chris, Jac Van Eekelen

Postby Leanne O'Sullivan » Thu 02 Feb 2006 7:51 am

Hi Diane

I think you know my feelings on it:

Change the date - chances are it will be too hot no matter where you hold it.

Change the venue - the facilities have gone downhill, the trees have grown and ponds have dried up.

Also, as we found this year, the area is open to the public so we had to change one run due to non-dog people taking up residence and we had young men walking through our camp at night as well as riding their motorbike up and down the track past the camp.

Leanne
Leanne O'Sullivan

Postby Garrick Bridges » Thu 02 Feb 2006 10:42 am

Hi Diane,
personally, I don't cope very well with the hot weather but it has to be expected at this time of year. I understand that the trial grounds and facilities have deteriorated over the last few years, so perhaps a change of venue may be appropriate.

Garrick
Garrick Bridges

January Trial

Postby Robert Tawton » Thu 02 Feb 2006 2:39 pm

Hi Diane,

For the first time in more years than I care to remember, Pam and I did not attend the recent Shepparton Trial and then only because there was not an event in which I could compete. I also accept that over time the Shepparton trial site has become less “trial friendly” thus the concept of an alternate site has our support. We would be disappointed to see a change in date as by tradition the “season” beings each year with the GSP trial.
Furthermore, having a trial towards the end of January gives handlers an opportunity to assess the progress made, under trial conditions, since mid November i.e. the end of the previous season. It also affords handlers the opportunity to “fix” any shortcomings before the “new season” moves into full swing in the March/April timeframe. One of the drawbacks of having too many trials to close together is that handlers do not have the time necessary to fix the myriad of minor problems that inevitably surface in the competitive environment.

In summary, we favour a new site rather than a change in date.

Kindest regards, Pam and Robert Tawton
Robert Tawton

Return to General