Mechanics of travelling to national in WA

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Mechanics of travelling to national in WA

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 28 Feb 2006 9:59 am

I am looking into entering this years national being held near Perth, Western Australia.

Long distance driving does not appeal to me. Flying with two dogs is a good option, with Virgin Blue, as the dogs can travel as excess luggage. Car hire being a significant cost factor as I wish to enter the lead up trials in September, so my stay could be for 4 weeks. Train travel is an option -mind you I was surprised at the price, LOL, (vehicle freight with passenger relatively cheap) but dogs are not allowed. Flying dogs through Jet Pet travel x 2 dogs $625 approximately.

Car freighting is approximately $1,500.00.

Any other ideas?
Julie Cramond

Postby Gareth Tawton » Tue 28 Feb 2006 10:10 am

Julie,

If you want to be away that long. You could also fly but truck freight your car there and back. You wouuld need to check around for a discount freighter and way this against the cost of 4 weeks car hire.

Gareth
PS I have booked Qantas and already booked dogs in. Don't forget home flights could be the same time as the AFL Grandfinal. Not that a team from the west is likely to be in the grandfinal!!!
Gareth Tawton

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 28 Feb 2006 10:22 am

Thanks Gareth. I will telephone a few more car/truck/boat/caravan freighters.

The one quote so far, for my troup carrier, was $1,500.00 each way. Heck at least that included GST :D
Julie Cramond

Postby Allan Bartram » Tue 28 Feb 2006 10:55 am

Gareth & Julie, As all good AFL supporters know the Grand Final is on the same weekend as our National ,so Gareth, all the air traffic will be bringing our jubilant supporters BACK from Victoria so there will be plenty of space on planes returning!!! :D :D :D Seriously tho Julie if you let me know what dates you are considering I will make some enquiries for you about suitable rental vehicles. I know you have been in touch with Catherine regarding accomodation.We may be able to help with a hire vehicle too.
Regards Allan
Allan Bartram

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 28 Feb 2006 11:16 am

Thanks very much Allan.

I started this thread, as I thought others from the Eastern States who have not travelled over to WA for dog trialling in the past may be also interested in the replies.

From the National link, I thought that as every weekend has lead up trials, I would aim to arrive prior to the 3rd and stay until after the National. I am flexible regarding time.

Catherine has very kindly already Emailed me regarding B & Bs.
Again thank you. You guys (and gals) are certainly on the ball with your quick replies.
Julie Cramond

Postby Kerry Webster » Tue 28 Feb 2006 12:07 pm

Hi Julie,

Driving over might be a good option for you, especially if you could share expenses with a friend. I think there is a trial in S.A. also which might interest you, on the way.

Flying over is relatively cheap, though a hire car for 4 weeks will hit the pocket, and your accommodation will be costly as well. Again, if you can share the expense with a friend it isn't too bad.

I travelled over east many times and went with a friend and her dog. We shared all the expenses and it turned out to be a much more reasonable cost that way.

Also, the trials on 2nd and 3rd September have been hinted as being near the town of Beverley, which is about 1 1/2 hours from Toodyay and Goomalling, whereas the later trials will be closer to the towns.

By the way, the BB is going well. The dogs love it and I use it regularly.

Cheers,

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Return to General