Question for Bill Bailey

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Question for Bill Bailey

Postby Waynep » Sat 21 Dec 2002 8:27 am

Hi Bill.
I was just wondering, are you the same Bill Bailey the appears a couple of times on the National retrieving Trial trophy with Derbershire Ace of Hearts?
Regards
Waynep.
Waynep

Postby Graeme Parkinson » Sat 21 Dec 2002 3:06 pm

Wayne

Derbeshire Aces A Hearts won the National in 1980 and 1981. I have heard that one of our better/more successful trainers (I will keep his name anonymous in case I miss quote him) believes him to be the best dog he has ever seen.

Graemep
Graeme Parkinson

Postby Peter Betteridge » Tue 24 Dec 2002 12:55 pm

graeme
it is difficult to claim that Bill's dog is the best of all time. Wayne Poholke from kadnook once told me years ago that the best dog he ever saw was Casray Beau ,the father of Bill dog Cass. Wayne would know ,he has seen alot of dogs over the years. I dont know if seeing Bob Tawtons dog king or Geoff Cole's dogs would have changed his mind or not. Bill's dog may lay claim to being the best marker of all time but in those days the dogs were unemcumbered with all the other difficultys of line running and control that the modern dogs have to learn in order to be competitive. John Palmer told me that Bill's dog struggled to run a simple restricted blind as a 3 year old and that Cass got his title without being able to run a blind at all. Bill didnt get Cass until he was 18 months and so his blind running skills obviously developed later.Peter Halford and others owned Cass and could do nothing with him .Joe Vella told me back in 1992 that he thought that Jake Christiansons dog Sam was superior to both Cass and Tammy and he certainly earned more points over 600 I believe.I only saw Jake's dog a couple of times at the end of his career when he was deaf and no longer winning. In my personnel experience John Palmers dog Ash and Tracy Guests dog Cash were the best that I trialled against. Byron Kendall's dog was also great but I only competed against him rarely so I'm unable to really gage how good he was, but his record is awesome. The best blinds that I have seen have been done by Geoff Cole's dog Touch. What I have seen of Bob Tawtons dog King and Joe Vella's dog Blackie is very impressive however I have never trialed against either of them much except when they were young and coming up and my dogs were old and about to retire. Bill's record of trials won placed in and finished against trials entered would be hard to top. Also consecutitive championships won championship ratio of wins and places against entrys would be pretty formitable
Peter Betteridge

Re: Question for Bill Bailey

Postby Bill Bailey » Sat 28 Dec 2002 10:31 am

Waynep wrote:Hi Bill.
I was just wondering, are you the same Bill Bailey the appears a couple of times on the National retrieving Trial trophy with Derbershire Ace of Hearts?
Regards
Waynep.

Dear Waynep ?
R T Ch Derbyshire Ace A Hearts
The story of Cass and Bill Bailey

I buy my first dog (Sandy) as a burglar alarm and get hooked on Non-Slip Retrieving Trials.

Many years ago around 1973, I was a keen fisherman and on one occasion I came in late at night and was too tired to take the outboard motor from my boat and lock it up. Quoting those famous last words "She'll be right" to justify my laziness. When I checked in the morning the boat was there but the motor had vanished.
The police suggested that a dog might help to discourage a repeat performance. So first thing on Monday morning I called in to the R.S.P.C.A. in Moore Park. I spent some time talking to a few dogs. One a nice yellow one, appealed to me, so I went up to the office and paid my $7.50, collected his lead and headed off to take my new friend home with me.
Before I could leave the office, a voice stopped me in my tracks. "Do you want his papers ?". This threw me, I was quite used to dogs that had a favourite old boot to chew, even an old bone or two, but papers !. Did he lie on them, read them, chew them or ...?. So I said, rather blankly, "Papers, what papers ?", "HIS PAPERS", was the rather terse reply. While I had no reason to doubt the accuracy of the answer, it seemed a little like the ideal political answer in that while it was brief and reasonably polite, it did not really tell me anything I did not already know.
Apparently these papers were important, so I tried a different approach. "How much are they ?", I asked. This time the reply came back with a degree of heat and speed that surprised me. "NOTHING, THEY GO WITH THE DOG". Well, I thought if they cost nothing and are apparently important to the dog, I may as well take them. So I said I would be happy to take them.
In due course I found out about the papers, joined the Labrador Retriever Club of N.S.W. and started going to retrieving trials. I think it was at Campbelltown, during a demonstration day, that I saw Mr Bill Mason give an exhibition of retrieving with his dogs. It was fantastic, I had never seen anything like it. I could hardly wait to see what I could do with my good yellow dog, Sandy.
Since I had no idea as to how to start dog training I bought the first book that I found that appealed to me, as I went browsing through the book stores in town. This book was Dog Training by Amateurs by R. Sharpe, published by Country Life Ltd. 2-10 Tavistock St, Covent Garden. London. WC 2.
It seemed to me, to be just what I wanted, I certainly qualified as an amateur and it was directed to training a dog with field work in mind. Field work appealed to me as I had done some shooting on friend's properties to reduce the numbers of rabbits and ducks when necessary. I would recommend this book to anyone who is starting, especially if they have no previous knowledge of training gun dogs.
Later on I bought Training your Retriever by James Lamb Free published by Coward-McCann, Inc. New York. This is regarded by many as the standard reference work for training for retrieving trials. It is also well worth adding to your library.
During that period 25/03/72-17/02/73, I competed in 13 Novice trials with Sandy. I still remember the first one. When we arrived at the starting point there was much shuffling of catalogues and subdued comment. Being a true Novice I thought that this came about as the gallery became aware that a possible new member had joined the trialling fraternity. It was only when one of the stewards cross examined me as to whether I had the right dog, that
the light dawned. Apparently they thought it was a bit odd, that I was competing with a yellow Labrador named Tsang Black Prince.
I explained that when I called in to the Kennel Control, in order to complete Sandy's registration, I was asked to nominate a few names for christening purposes. I was seeking inspiration, when I noticed that one of his ancestors was F.T.Ch.Stevaden Prince Valiant, so I thought it only fitting to nominate Black Prince as a very suitable name for one of his relatives. The fact that Sandy was a yellow dog had momentarily escaped me. In due course I was advised that I was now the registered and accredited owner of a yellow Labrador dog, by the name of Tsang Black Prince, with all the rights privileges and prerogatives belonging thereto or suspended therefrom, or words to that effect.
Anyway we pressed on, despite these minor problems and managed to take a place in 9 of the 13 Novice Trials that we competed in. Although we had a few run-offs for first, we could never win one. That did not worry me, I was delighted with the way Sandy worked, not only in retrieving trials but also in the field when we went shooting. I was also making new friends and enjoying myself. I vaguely knew that there were Restricted Stakes and of course All Age Stakes, that was where the heavies were to be found. Serious people discussing Two birds, Double rise and Blind and similar mysteries. I watched them in action occasionally but found it totally confusing, so I went happily back to Novice where I felt at home.
In the days when I was competing with Sandy I saw a quote in a book about judging dogs. I think I borrowed the book from Wendy Andrew of Brierdene Kennels (at that time). It went like this “People often ask me, how can you tell a Champion when you see one. I always reply. You will know a Champion when you see one. There is a look in his eye, in his bearing, in his intelligence, if you know dogs you will know a Champion when you see one”.
Accordingly I made a point of really looking at all the dogs before they competed and then looked at them in competition, to see how they matched up. I tried to develop a “feeling of recognition” for a good dog. Whether I succede or not, I do not know, perhaps I have just been lucky. But I certainly tried to make a habit of really studying all the dogs I saw.
After a while it became apparent that Sandy (Tsang Black Prince) had developed PRA, so he had to retire from NSRT and I had to find another dog.
I think it was about the middle of March 1973 when Peter Halford told me that he knew where I might get a good dog. When I saw Cass (Blue) for the first time, he was in the yard at Peter’s place, just running around with the other dogs. I said to Peter “What’s he like ?” Peter said “I’ll show you” With that he picked up an old .22 rifle walked into the yard and swung the rifle to his shoulder. Cass was moving around with the other dogs, as soon as he saw Peter raise the gun, he froze. Every muscle stood out as he looked with total concentration, first to Peter as he raised the gun and then to where Peter was pointing the gun. Some of the other dogs showed a little interest but none with the total concentration that Cass showed. I had never seen anything like it. He was my dog from that moment on as far as I was concerned. Of course we took Cass out to do a retrieve or two. I had to hold him or he would have just taken off. He did not rely on his eyes to closely mark the fall. Just headed downwind of the fall, scenting as hard as he could. His mouth looked like the skirts of a hover craft as he concentrated on finding the scent that would lead him to the game. My birthday present that year was Cass, an untrained 18 mth old genius (I hoped). After necessary training (for both of us) with Peter and Eddy we competed in Novice 18/05/74 – 03/08/74 Restricted. 27/10/74 – 24/05/75 All Age from 01/06/75.All Age 01/06/75 – 26/07/82 approx:

R.T. Ch. DERBYSHIRE ACE A HEARTS.(Cass)
Sire R.T Ch. Casray Beau. Dam Sandycasadors Wish
Born 30/09/72 Died 22/08/85. Owner & Handler Bill Bailey from March 74.
Breeder Mr Peter Halford. Derbyshire Kennels.

RESULTS IN NON-SLIP RETRIEVING TRIAL CHAMPIONSHIPS.

1975 N.S.W. 2 nd
NATIONAL. (W.A) Did Not Finish
A.C.T. Did Not Place
VICTORIA. Did Not Finish
1976 N.S.W. 2 nd
NATIONAL. (A.C.T) 4 th
A.C.T. 2 nd
VICTORIA Did Not Finish
1977 NATIONAL. (W.A) Did Not Place
N.S.W. 1 st
A.C.T. 1 st
VICTORIA. 1 st
1978 QUEENSLAND. 1 st
N.S.W. 1 st
VICTORIA. 1 st
1979 N.S.W 1 st
A.C.T 4 th
VICTORIA 1 st
1980 QUEENSLAND 4 th
A.C.T. 3 rd
N.S.W. 1 st
VICTORIA Did Not Finish
NATIONAL. (VIC) 1 st
1981 QUEENSLAND. 4 th
N.S.W. 2 nd
NATIONAL. (N.S.W). 1 st
VICTORIA. Did Not Finish

I certainly do not take all the credit for Cass’s results. Apart from anything else Cass had to do the work to the Judge’s satisfaction. So far as training and handling was concerned I had problems as a steroid dependent asthmatic with frequent visits to hospital. Walking around paddocks carrying throwers etc would have been totally beyond me. Fortunately I found wonderfully generous friends who helped me in every way they could. Just to mention a few, Peter and Maureen Halford, Eddy Halford, for not only breeding Cass but Peter and Eddy took me training with their dogs in the early days and really helped me to build a foundation of retrieving knowledge. Wendy and Bruce Andrew, also helped with training facilities and information. Bill Loftus with advice about competing in trials. John Palmer and Macka, Ronnie Cooper & Hector were my main training partners. Training on your own is all very well but training in a group of good dogs is even better because you can see your own weaknesses and strengths compared with other good dogs more clearly.
They also carried all the gear and did the physical setting up the runs for our dogs as well as helping with training and handling ideas. There were many others helped whenever they could. It is a wonderful sport when people who want to win themselves will still help other competitors. They also help to keep your “feet on the ground”. One day at an interstate trial one of my new friends gave me a piece of original handwritten verse. It read “Oh it’s hard to be humble, when you have a good dog like Cass” All I could say in reply was “I hope it stays that way a bit longer”.But I took the hint and have applied it as best I can.
One quotation that I read years ago, that appealed to me, is credited to William Beebe (1877-1962), the first Curator of Birds, New York Zoological Society. It reads as follows.
"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived though its first material expression be destroyed, a vanished harmony may yet inspire the Composer.
But, when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another Heaven and another Earth must come to pass before such a one can be again."
I hope we always remember that.
There have been many magnificent working retrievers doing what they alone can do. I hope we never degenerate to the point where the ideal retriever in competion is little more than a remote controlled robot fitted with a scoop to pick up the game.
Good luck and Good Trialing. - Bill Bailey.
Bailey W S (Bill)
12/12 Martin Place, Dural. N. S. W. 2158.
Email wsbailey@bigpond.com Ph: 02-9651-6247 Fax 02-9651-4318
Bill Bailey

Postby Waynep » Wed 08 Jan 2003 9:06 am

Thanks Bill.
Waynep

slight correction

Postby Peter Betteridge » Wed 15 Jan 2003 10:25 pm

I have been recently chating with Joe Vella and he asked me to correct an inaccuracy in my last post concerning Joe's opinion of the best dog he trialed against. Joe feels that 'sam" nat rtch Cobargo Captain cdx was the best dog that he competed against. He backs away from a comparison with Tammy and Cass because they were at the end of their career when Joe first trialed against them. therefore no meaningful comparison is possible.
I am very interested in preserving the history of our great sport if anyone has any old catologues or interesting info from the 1970's and 80's could you e-mail it to me so I can post it on our archives page. state championship results, winners and placegetters etc would also be gratefully accepted. As you have probably guessed this site is short on pictures. any help would be great.
Peter Betteridge

questions for Bill

Postby visitor » Sun 09 Feb 2003 4:50 pm

Bill
did you ever run against Trevor James? What was he like? apparently he had a great dog ?
What did you do to make your dog such a good marker?Can you let us know something of your training methods particularily on marks?
who were the best dogs that you competed against?
thanks RS
visitor

Training Cass to mark - Bill Bailey

Postby Bill Bailey » Mon 10 Feb 2003 8:33 pm

I simply gave Cass clear sighted marks in training, where the difficulty only lay in remembering the clearly fall, covering the terrain with speed, concentration and determination. Difficulty was only such that he would do it on his own without any commands.
Memory of falls came from clear marks, gradually up to about 8 over different distances. He would normally retrieve in the order of fall but I could nominate by just talking to him. First 5 would generally be done like a single mark last 3 he would work wider of the fall, downwind using his nose to a greater extent.
Because "game" was invariably dead, he soon learned to mark very accurately. This denied him an opportunity to develop or demonstrate his scenting abilities on most marks.
On blinds I just gave him a line to put him 10-50 metres downwind of the fall, depending on scenting conditions, terrain etc. This enabled him to develop and demonstrate his ability to scent game. He was also expected to make good his ground on the line I had given him. I always handled and trained him as though game had been wounded and I only knew the general area to be hunted. I wanted him to always locate any dead or wounded game on the line to the fall.
I never aimed to win a trial for Cass, all I wanted was to give him an opportunity to show that he could do the job on his own and demonstrate his abilities at the same time.
I remember on one occasion doing a walk up blind, we fired over a huge heap of logs in a line across a paddock. Handlers just "dodged" the obstacle by sending their dogs around the end of the heap of logs, about 50 metres away. I just fired at the blind with Cass beside me, broke the gun and said "Fetch". Cass just went straight ahead, quickly but cautiously over the "wall" of logs, effected the retrieve and came back the same way. When I handed over the gun and the game, I tried to look as though we always worked that way. In truth I was as astonished as everyone else.
I am working on some notes to post to the website, hopefully within the next month or so. Trust they will be of interest. Regards Bill Bailey.
Bill Bailey

thanks Bill

Postby Guest » Tue 11 Feb 2003 10:06 pm

Thanks for the info Bill.I have been told that you lived in the city when you owned your dog Cass. Did the limited opportunities regarding terrain hinder your training? Did you have any formula for the lenght of your marks such as long short and in the middle. I am interested in trialing my lab pup but I'm unsure when to start throwing multiple marks and whether I should vary the angle of the throws.In the article about you the guy that wrote it claims that he built his dog up to do 20! How long would you expect it to take to build up to that level?Do you ever run training classes for people just starting out?
regards RS
ps Looking forward to your article

Re: Reply to RS ?

Postby Bill Bailey » Wed 12 Feb 2003 5:46 pm

Would appreciate a name to "talk to", my eldest son tells me I am not computer friendly. Am struggling a bit with E-mails, Internet and various initials etc.
Cannot recall the name Trevor James, the only James that comes to mind was a NSW trialler, Kevin James. He owned and handled R T Ch Casray Beau, Cass's sire. I have some information about him which I will post to the web site, later on.
Best dogs I competed against, that is a hard one. There were plenty of really good dogs and very experienced triallers, that we ran against. Anyone of those dogs could do a run as well as Cass on some occasions. I think the difference was that their handlers gave their dogs all the help they could, on every run, in order to win the trial. I only gave Cass enough help so that he could attempt to do the run, on his own. If he then needed help, in a trial, I would do what I could to help. On occasions it was then too late and we were out of the trial. That never worried me. With experience Cass got better at doing a top class retrieve, on his own. As a result his average score, over all runs was better than any other dog in the field.
How long does it take to train a dog to remember 20 marks ? I do not know. Put it another way. If you have a hungry labrador and you take him into a paddock and spread his dinner over 5, then 10, then 20 plates. How long would it take him to remember them all. I think the answer is not very long at all.
The keys to building a good marking dog are, Intensity of interest in retrieving, Clearly sighted marks to remember, Never give him more marks, than he can remember at a particular time.
In normal training Cass would do short doubles or triples regularly, on the back lawn or local park or bushy area. Full length ones, similar to trials were done at weekends, when I could.
To build up his memory, once he would remember a short practice double, I would heel him away from the "firing point". Play with him, roll him on his back etc (for gradually lengthened periods). Then get serious and say "Cass, where is it ?" At first he looked blank so I just pointed to the fall I wanted retrieved. Once he got the idea, he would look in the correct direction. I would then quietly say "Good Dog". With that he would lift himself ready to go to the correct fall. I would then say "Fetch" with as much intensity as I could.
In trials it enabled me to find out in advance, whether he had seen a particular mark or not. If he had not marked the fall I would give him a line to hunt all the way to the downwind side of the fall.
One day I had been training with Joe Law and his dog at the sand hills area of Kurnell, in Sydney. Cass was watching with me as Joe buried the "game" we had finished with about 50 metres away. I said to Cass "Where is it", he lifted himself ready to go. I said "Leave it" and heeled him away and we went home.
The next morning we returned to the same spot, as well as I could judge it, as there had been heavy rain overnight. I said to Cass, "Where is it". At first he looked blank, so I repeated it. Suddenly he faced away from me, hopefully looking in the right direction. I said "Good Dog", "Fetch". He went straight to the right spot and dug up the "game" and retrieved the first one to me.
Yes I lived in the city and many of the top competitors and their dogs, lived further out of the city. They could run their dogs on Championship type runs any day they wished. Many had family or friends to throw for them.
I do not think it is essential but it is helpful to live close to suitable training venues and help in setting up runs.
I do not currently run any training for retrievers but am happy to help when I can. I would never have done as well as I did without the generous help of wonderful triallers, who gave me the benefit of their ideas.
If you have a young dog, do not rush him int "University" before he is out of "Kindergarten". Your first job is to build your own "Mutual admiration Society" between you and your dog.
Regards Bill Bailey
Bill Bailey

Postby Maureen Cooper » Sun 16 Feb 2003 2:36 pm

Question for Bill Bailey:

Bill, you talk about your dog retrieving multiple marks 8 -20 being mentioned. How did you set this up? Even with three helpers each throwing a double mark you would only have a total of six retrieves per run. There were no dummy launchers available at the time and the metal throwers were very primitive compared to todays. Hand thrown dummies do not travel great distances though one could throw several one after the other.

When I am out training with others we might have a morning/day of just marks and the dogs could end up retrieving over 20 items of game as marks but these would have been achieved by say, 3-4 marks per run over 5-6 runs. Clarification of how your multiple marks were done would help. It reads as though the dog picked up huge numbers of marks one after the other and I cannot see how you set this up. If I walked round a paddock randomly throwing dummies out and then had to remember where they were for the dog to retrieve then I would end up losing a lot of dummies!!!

We set runs up in training by varying the distance to the birds, a long one and two short ones or vice versa and the same with water runs, one in water and one way out over it and maybe another to the left or right, in or out of water.
Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Postby Maureen Cooper » Sun 16 Feb 2003 2:42 pm

Oops! I should have added that I would forget where I had thrown the dummies for the dog to retrieve if I walked round a paddock and there is nothing worse than sending your dog for a retrieve and there is nothing there!!!!
Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Multiple Marks in training

Postby Bill Bailey » Mon 17 Feb 2003 1:40 pm

Dear Maureen,
Like you I tended to forget where I had thrown them. To train on memory of multiple marks in training I just started with one. Let Cass see it clearly, then heeled him away. Got him to roll on his back and gave his tummy a scratch. After a minute or two I would get serious. Call "Cass, heel", while I was facing the mark that I wanted him to retrieve. I would then say quietly, with suppressed excitement, "Where is it ?". At first he just looked blank so I stared towards the fall and pointed with the training "gun". One of my daughter's hockey sticks. He soon got the idea. So all I had to do on a single or on multiple marks, was to whisper "Where is it ?". If he knew he would lift himself as he tensed his muscles for take off. If I wanted that one, I whispered "Good dog" quietly and sincerely. Then "Fetch" and away he went. In a trial I would say Fetch loudly and give a wave in the right direction, so that the judge and spectators would know that he had not broken.
Once he could remember one for several minutes I gradually gave him more to remember. The most I ever bothered with were eight that I put out in a semicircle, or in a complete circle. Each one near a prominent natural feature, tree, distinctive shrub etc. I just left Cass sitting while I walked out say 25- 50 yards in the early days. As he got better I could leave him for a longer period, but always watched him for any tendency to move. He never budged once. If I wanted longer runs I had to wait until the weekend or possibly invite one of my sons to go training at 6 am.
As he Cass got better I could walk around him, then send him for one behind or to one side or the other.
Cass never broke in a trial or even looked like it. I wanted him to realise that as long he remembered the fall/s, he would get them all in the order I nominated. If I did not nominate he was trained to get them in the order of fall.
Because of the time involved, after all I did heve to get to work, I would let him have his morning 30 min: run. Then I would spend say 30 min: giving him retrieves in miniature over local parks, bushy areas etc. At the weekend, if I could I would spend most of one day with John Palmer and Ronnie Cooper and their dogs, giving the dogs "real runs".
On one occasion when I was out with Joe Law in the sand hills at Kurnell, we buried the game we had finished with. I got Cass to mark the fall in case we came back the next day. There was rain overnight. When we came back I "tried my luck" and said to Cass "Where is it". At first he looked blank. Then the penny dropped. He lifted himself ready to go. When sent he went to the exact spot and promptly dug up the top bird and retrieved to hand. I think we were both very happy.
Regards Bill Bailey
Bill Bailey

Training Memory of falls

Postby Bill Bailey » Mon 17 Feb 2003 3:17 pm

Dear Maureen,
My apologies I forgot that you were also querying a comment about 8-20 marks etc. I think Peter Betteridge made some such remarks along those lines in his article about my training methods. I do not think I ever gave Cass a set of more than eight retrieves "as a run".
He would often do many sets of 3, 4 or 5 marks over short distances. As distance was increased number of retrieves in the set were reduced, simply because of the time and difficulty in setting them up.
I largely just gave Cass marks in miniature so that he could complete them quickly, quietly and without any mistakes. I never gave any correctional or helpful commands after I had said "Fetch". If a problem arose I said nothing but gave him a "simpler one" that he would and could complete perfectly every time.If you like my aim was perfect execution, every time in miniature. Then similar runs were repeated in or over more difficult terrain and so on. Increased length was only brought in for runs to simulate runs in competition.
In my opinion every marked retrieve in training and in competition, should be clearly seen by the dog in the air and as it falls to ground.
Once a dog has acquired the habit of concentrating on marking the fall, then going to the best downwind position to scent the game and complete the retrieve, nothing should ever be done to break that habit.
In my day, some judges expected dogs to start marking one fall and at the "shot" another "mark" would be thrown, in a totally diferent area. Dog was apparently expected to halfmark one and then turn to halfmark another. The logic of this was and still is beyond me. If this situation arose in a trial, I just treated the second as a blind. If Cass could mark both, that was a bonus. Remember judges can change their ideas as they go, much more easily than dogs. So if your dog is doing it correctly never break that good habit and run the risk of confusing your dog.
In my day, some judges set some "marks" where the dog was unlikely to see the game in air and as it fell and occasionally the handler could not see the dog as it endeavoured to retrieve the so called mark. What skills were being tested was beyond me. Regards Bill Bailey.
Bill Bailey

handling skills

Postby RS » Sun 02 Mar 2003 12:26 pm

Bill
in your articles you have discussed marking alot.Can you tell us something about how you trained cass to handle and do blinds?At what age do you suggest starting to teach handling and starting blinds. I have been reading about backpiles, double T's and other drills that all age handlers seem to do. Did you do these drills with your dog or did you use another system?One of the links on this site is to Working retriever central in the USA they discuss on their retriever training page such things as conditioned retrieve and transition training. Do we do these things in Australia and are they applicable to our sport?
thanks Bill
regards RS
ps I enjoyed your articles on the great retrievers of the past keep it up!!!!!
RS

Next

Return to General