Letter From WGAA

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Letter From WGAA

Postby Peter Butterfield » Mon 02 Nov 2020 5:16 pm

The following is posted on behalf of the Working Gundog Association of Australia (WGAA) :-

Background:
WGAA recently wrote to ANKC proposing that WGAA Titles be included on ANKC official pedigrees. Noting that WGAA recognize the ANKC Registry as the pre-eminent database for purebred dogs and reasoning that promotion and maintenance of purebred dogs is dependent on recognition of pedigree as an indication of ancestral achievements, and thus potential trainability and utility.

Further rationale provided that WGAA...
1 Use Group 3 Gundog pedigrees as the basis of their competition registrations
2 Have no real interest in maintaining a stud book parallel to ANKC
3 Believe that the official ANKC Pedigree should reflect all of the achievements of registered working gundogs as these are a valued resource for breeders and purchasers seeking to use quality working gundogs, and
4 It would go some way to resisting a growing trend toward “designer dogs” which devalues the breed selection efforts of hunters and shooters of previous generations.

Precedents cited included:
1 The Working Gundog Association of Australia, is a recognized body by the ANKC, (ANKC Regulations Part 8 Section 1.5)
2 The inclusion of NZ Whippet Racing Titles on ANKC Pedigrees (ANKC Regulations Part 6 Section 1.6.2)

A letter from Mr Jim Jeffrey, National Discipline Chairman, SSAA Working Gundogs, for the information of members of ANKC affiliations.

Dear ANKC Registered Gundog Trialer,

I write representing myself as a hunter and field and retrieving trialer, as the President of an enthusiastic Gundog trialing branch and as the Discipline Chairman of a National Working Gundog Organisation – Working Gundog Association of Australia.

We, as owners of pure bred ANKC registered gundogs, should be grateful for the efforts of the ANKC through their State bodies to ensure the continuation of the focus on the structural integrity of all purebred dogs, in particular, our Gundog breeds.

We as trialers rely on breeders to follow the breed standards of this organisation, backed up by the knowledge held in their pre-eminent registry, so that we will, in Australia, have these magnificent animals as our companions and partners now and into the future.

Our sport is a very small part of ANKC activities, but as one that actively tests the genetic qualities of our dogs in field and retrieving conditions, it is one where the traits that have been produced by generations of skilled breeders are actively showcased.

As we face the external threats of ‘designer dog breeding’, animal liberationist organisations and the anti-gun people, we need as many diverse activities as our small number of enthusiasts can support.

There has been a concerted effort by some sections of the Gundog world to paint WGAA as a divisive force, this is not the case.

Those who are familiar with WGAA know that most of our members also organise, compete in and support ANKC events and endeavours. Anyone who cares to investigate will find that WGAA actively encourages all Gundog owners to become involved in WGAA and ANKC trials and those who come to us with non ANKC registered dogs are encouraged into pure-bred registered dog ownership.

As I indicated in my original correspondence, WGAA does not have an interest in maintaining a stud book, and in fact use ANKC pedigrees as the basis of our ‘competition registry’. We believe that the ANKC pedigree should record all relevant achievements for the betterment of breeding selection.

While the retrieving section of the Gundog world tends to hold sway, by virtue of their superior numbers, the field trialing section, genetically is possibly of more importance. But regrettably field trialing has many more challenges than retrieving and consequently very low numbers of events. As we saw in Queensland our field trial competitions became collateral damage as the duck season and associated quail season was banned due to political intervention. The last Field Trial Championship Title awarded in Queensland Spaniel & Retriever Trials was awarded to my Flat Coated Retriever, ‘Stone’ in 1992.

Gundog hunters and trialers are rightly concerned by the pressure on breeders posed by the ‘designer dog’ fads.
I hope for an Australian future, where my grandchildren and their grandchildren can witness and hopefully work with highly talented pure-bred gundogs, and I believe that we all need to be united in pursuit of this goal.

So for now I hope that the ANKC can see merit in WGAA’s proposal and follow their mission statement – ‘to promote excellence in breeding, showing, trialling, obedience and other canine related activities and the ownership of temperamentally and physically sound pure bred dogs by responsible individuals across Australia’.

Regards Jim Jeffrey
Peter Butterfield
Board Admin

Re: Letter From WGAA

Postby Peter Betteridge » Sat 19 Feb 2022 9:24 am

Did anything ever come of this letter
Peter Betteridge

Postby Diane McCann » Tue 22 Feb 2022 8:09 am

The Victorian RAFT committee voted against it, although not unanimously. The main reasoning was the WGAA made the decision to run events separate to the ANKC and did not wish to work under their banner, rules or restrictions. WGAA appears to be a great association who are very active in promoting gundog work, however they pay nothing to the ANKC and provide no support to that organisation, while we affiliated clubs pay very high fees attached to each and every event that we conduct and we are required to meet all of the strict conduct criteria that goes with this affiliation. It appeared very unfair that WGAA gain the benefit of having their titles appear on ANKC pedigrees based on this rationale.
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Georgina Golle » Tue 22 Mar 2022 12:22 pm

Hi Dianne, I support and agree with the written rational.
Keep well and safe and enjoy the wonderful world of Pure Bred Gun dogs.
Georgina ( Qld )
Georgina Golle

Postby Paula Davidson » Wed 31 Jan 2024 12:40 pm

The meeting of Vic RAFT on Sat Jan 27th, 2024 approved the proposal to include Asociate(Not Pure Bred) Gundogs in their Trials. This proposal has to go to National RAFT before it can be implemented. I would urge all other States to consider this proposal with the utmost care. Retrieving Trials were initiated for the purpose of finding the very best Purebred Gundogs to breed. Hundreds of years of breeding have gone into our beautiful dogs. They are as good as they are because of the huge efforts, earned knowledge and excellent care put in by previous generations of breeders.
The introduction of Associate dogs to our sport will further decimate the Pure Breed dog scene. Many people will buy Associate Dogs at a much lower price to compete. They may well also breed them. This cuts across the Purebred Breeders as they have much greater costs meeting the requirements of the ANKC and Purebreed Clubs, i.e. genetic testing, eye tests, registration costs etc. Breeders are already having difficulty selling all of their pups into hunting homes. This move will only aggravate that situation.
Some people offer the reason that we "need to grow the sport", but in fact, last week end in Victoria, if there were any more entrants, we would have had to appoint more Judges.
Associate Dogs will not add anything to our sport, but may very well destroy it and our beautiful Pure bred Gundogs, in the process.
Cheers
Paula
Paula Davidson

Postby Cathie J » Fri 02 Feb 2024 11:42 am

That is interesting Paula. The same RAFT that is dead against our purebred dogs gaining titles, if they compete on Replica Game, are in favour of crossbred dogs competing and presumably gaining titles.
Cross bred dogs are welcomed at WGAA competitions, and gain titles there, which is great. But the application to have WGAA titles added to our ANKC pedigrees was rejected. But if this proposal is approved, they could gain ANKC titles anyway ? But then they wouldn't have pedigrees to put the title on, but could still boast having Retrieving Titles. :roll:
Humans are so complicated.
Cathie J

Postby Joe Vella » Wed 07 Feb 2024 6:46 pm

Hi Diane, Cathie and Paula,

Diane I am most definitely on your side and that of your Raft Committee with regards to the letter from Jim Jeffrey.

Cathie ref, your response to Paula,
my opinion, both scenarios are disgustingly wrong and should never be considered, it should be argued that in the best interest of anyone taking part in WGAA events that WGAA should have it's own Stud Book and Pedigrees for titles to be added on, Cathie that would be a fair outcome would it not?

Paula, I agree whole heartedly with the comments you make regarding the Associate Dogs. These are not pure bred dogs and should not be in competition with pure bred dogs.

The ANKC use to be all about the best interest of pure bred dogs but it seems it no longer is, what a shame.

Paula i believe, If these people do not like what is on offer for them at ANKC sanctioned events, they should go and play somewhere else and cease trying to deteriorate what the ANKC should be about,

Cathie has highlighted that cross bred dogs are welcomed at WGAA, I suggest this could be a good option for anyone wanting to purchase a cross bred dog.

The sooner the ANKC Administration and it’s Member Bodies open their eyes and take genuine steps to nullify such requests by certain individuals the better off the ANKC and the pure bred dog will be.

The world has gone mad in more ways than one.

Well done Victoria, continue resisting such requests from people who’s main interest is in that of their own and not in the best interest of the ANKC and the pure bred pedigreed dog.

Joe Vella
Joe Vella

Postby Jessie Hughes » Wed 07 Feb 2024 7:49 pm

Hi Joe
Re your last line below "Well done Victoria" - I'm not quite sure Victorian members at the RAFT meeting have the best interest of pedigree dogs in retrieving at heart - reading the first line of Paula's article it says "The meeting of Vic RAFT on Sat Jan 27th, 2024 approved the proposal to include Associate(Not Pure Bred) Gundogs in their Trials." Jessie

The following is posted for Ray Ashenden:

All of the registered gundogs in Australia come from lines originally imported. Centuries of breeding have produced the lines of retrieving dogs/bitches we run today.
Allowing Associate Register dogs with no pedigree to compete in Retrieving Trials For Gundogs in Novice and Restricted Stakes is giving their breeders a licence to sell their unregistered pups as coming from “Restricted retrieving trial lines” to the shooting or retrieving fraternity.
For example, although any dog on the Associate Register must be desexed, a breeder who has kept the Associate Register’s litter mate could advertise pups from that animal as being from a Restricted retrieving trial line of dogs.
Whatever way you see this it is completely undermining all of the work that we, as responsible breeders, have put in.
Ray Ashenden, Dogs SA registered breeder since 1978.
Jessie Hughes

Postby Joe Vella » Thu 08 Feb 2024 3:00 pm

Hi Jessie,
Maybe i should have explained myself a bit better, that was aimed at Vic Raft not being in support of the Jim Jeffrey letter.
I hope the proposal to include Associate dogs gets defeated when it goes to NRaft.
Joe Vella

Return to General