Building a dam

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Building a dam

Postby Diane McCann » Tue 20 Feb 2007 1:24 pm

This may seem a strange question to put in this forum but it does relate to training.

Circumstances at home mean that we are required to build a new dam in our back paddock. The paddock is rectangular and of about five acres. It has a drain running diagonally across it through the lower half that creates a triangle of land in the back corner. The dam will go into that corner, probably connect to the drain in some way, and there is about one acre to play with.

In regard to dog training, I was wondering what shape of dam we should put in and what dimensions. Is there a web site that I can go to that would have diagrams?

Thanks,

Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 20 Feb 2007 2:30 pm

Hi Diane

There is a great site with lots of different training pond designs at http://www.oriondogsupply.com./ponds.htm

There is also an interesting article by Mike Lardy in The Retriever Journal on training pond design. I don't think it is available on line, but I have the magazine at home and can loan it to you.

I would try to put in as much complexity in the shoreline as you can or add some low islands.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Diane McCann » Wed 21 Feb 2007 3:21 pm

Thank you Jason, I will have a look at the web site. If you are willing, you colud bring the magazine to the Easter trial if you are attending, I would like to have a look. Alternatively you could post it to me and I could return it at Easter.

Thanks again.

Diane
Diane McCann

Return to Training Q&A