Running off

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Re: Running off

Postby Steve Grainger » Thu 12 Feb 2015 1:16 pm

Well explained Sally as it can be a very confusing subject and also a lesson for me to re-read my posts before I post them.
Michael with dog training there is a lot of advice available and as far as opinions go as to which is the best method it’s like backsides, everyone has got one. An old mate of mine use to say the problem is sorting the wheat from the chaff. I have trained two GSPs over the years and found them both great workers but soft.
Good luck with her.
Steve Grainger

Postby Michael Kontou » Mon 16 Feb 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks for the comments, I can fully understand how coming down to hard like that may have an effect on her behavior. Don't get me wrong, I want to avoid this situation as much as I can, like all the time, however, sometimes there are events you cannot control and I lose her during training.

I am like you Lara, I am constantly looking around to see what else is going on, is there another dog off lead running, etc. If there is another dog running wild as an example I call her back and have her wait next to me, then we resume.

Am I right in thinking that avoiding a running off scenario is the key, as in, if it doesn't happen it is less likely to occur in the future? Which is what we try and achieve as it stands.

What can be done if running off does occur in terms of discipline if anything at all?

Sorry if this is covering things already mentioned.

Michael

PS: I won't ditch the trainer, but like anything I will choose the bits of information and training tips that work for me, etc... from the response, it is not something I will (or want to) continue.
Michael Kontou

Postby Lara Preston » Mon 16 Feb 2015 4:06 pm

(Am I right in thinking that avoiding a running off scenario is the key, as in, if it doesn't happen it is less likely to occur in the future? Which is what we try and achieve as it stands)

Yes this is what I try and do, I just try and make what I have more fun and rewarding than than what there is to chase, but, i also reward him with a run off from me (if this makes sense). I wind him up on retrieves and dummies, end the game when he is having a ball, put them away, let him run, then call him back to play again. He can't get back quick enough.
Lara Preston

Previous

Return to Training Q&A