Let's talk about marking

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Let's talk about marking

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 21 Sep 2004 7:29 pm

As we have not had any questions, for months, I thought I would start a thread on marking.

As our trials require in restricted and higher stakes, the retrieve to be in judges order, how do you all train for this concept? I thought I should start easy instead of confusing the issue with blind/mark order.

How much work do you do in a football field for example first without adding water and such?

If a dog was to swap mid way, do you have the thrower help or do you like a pretty good handling dog first, or maybe use a fence as a divider?

Let us have some fun and start the Q & A again!!!!. By observing our consistent winners in All Age it is become apparent to me again and again, how steady at the starting pegs the dogs have to be (something I have personally been working on for weeks).
Julie Cramond

Postby Peter Betteridge » Tue 28 Sep 2004 8:30 pm

Hi Julie
being steady at the pegs is not in my opinion a precurser to being a great marker.The best marking dog that I ever competed against (in my opinion) was tracy Guest's dog "Cash".she won 11 all ages in a row in NSW back in the mid 1990's.This was no mean feat given the standard of the opposition.
Cash would creep out 8 to 10 feet on most marks but quickly return without a command for the next mark in the series.He was a supremely efficient triple marker and most often completed complex triples without a command.
having said all that I agree that steadiness is certainly a big bonus in accurate marking and should be strongly encouraged.
Are great markers born or can marginal markers with good genetics become fine marking dogs with a good program and a skillful trainer??
Peter Betteridge

Postby Diane McCann » Wed 29 Sep 2004 9:30 am

Steadiness at the pegs, hmmmm, interesting concept! I am sure that it would help a lot of things, perhaps Allison can get me some of that calming supplement she is trying on one of her horses. :wink:

In regard to marking - It is common for a young dog to mark the fall of the bird but to quickly leave the area if they do not find it immediately and then go for a gallop.

Do you believe that it is important to undertake specific training to teach perserverance and self belief or allow experience and maturity to take care of it? If you do undertake a specific training drill, what is it?

Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Peter Betteridge » Wed 29 Sep 2004 11:25 am

Dianne
there are a number of drills which may help you overcome this problem
1 the good old fashioned 'huntup" drill in a salted area
2 throw your dog salted marks in c over
3 "dirt clod" or "corn cobb" drilling as the Americans would call it
4 corn cobb marks with a secondary mark to invite switching.handle as appropriate.
Complex cheating singles and doubles also have a positive effect on marking perseverance in the long term with the right type of dog
good luck with your training Di. If you ever discover any herbs or such that can calm a very hyper dog down a bit please let me know
Peter Betteridge

Postby Alison Hargreaves » Wed 29 Sep 2004 11:51 am

Peter,

There are a number of herbal remedies for calming down horses and I believe they are quite safe for dogs as well. Bachs Rescue Remedy has been used on dogs who are prone to stress. Chamomile is also used to calm horses down, if you make a tea out of the flowers and give it to you dog, it might work.

A friend of mine runs owns Brown's Animal Herbals and does telephone consults. If you like I can give you her telephone number. She is currently treating several clients in the ACT and NSW and posts their medicines directly to them. She is very good and actually cured one of my horses from cancerous tumours on his leg.
Alison Hargreaves

Postby Peter Betteridge » Wed 29 Sep 2004 1:24 pm

WOW
Thanks Alison I would be very interested in talking to your friend.Would you be kind enough to PM me the phone number??
thanks peter
Peter Betteridge

Postby Julie Cramond » Thu 30 Sep 2004 10:12 am

I do half my training nowadays at a football field.

Concepts, concepts, concepts. I use bumper boys though, which I love.

One great Australian trainer whose opinion I value greatly mentioned to me one day that I may be making too much into "how to train". LOL.
Julie Cramond

Postby Kerry Webster » Thu 30 Sep 2004 7:44 pm

Hey I think one of my dogs needs some of that calming stuff. Have tried rescue remedy, didn't make a bit of difference to him.
I still want the up and go attitude, but a little less of the hype. Any other suggestions ???

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Prue Winkfield » Fri 01 Oct 2004 1:44 pm

Kerry - I tried Rescue Remedy years ago without much success - try running the dog behand the car down a country lane for 20mins before you get there - that was the only thing that worked for that dog :lol: !!
Prue Winkfield

Postby jeff b » Fri 01 Oct 2004 8:19 pm

Aren't you worried that using calming drugs or whatever may also take the edge off the whole performance, how can you be sure the remedy will only affect the hype at the line and not the drive and enthusiasm for the retrieve.

Just a thought.

Jeff (UK)
Failing to train is training to fail.
jeff b

Return to Training Q&A